This is just a quick post to get the word out!
Mark your Calender: On 12/11: National Disability Call in Day To Stop the #TaxOnDisability
Join people with disabilities, our families, and advocates around the country on Monday, December 11th, for a national call-in day to oppose the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
The Senate and House have each passed versions of the TCJA and the bill is in a conference committee to come up with the final bill. WE STILL HAVE A CHANCE TO STOP THIS #TaxOnDisability. Senators and Representatives are feeling the heat, and we need a huge push NOW!
This bill will hurt people with disabilities.
* It dramatically cuts the revenue needed to fund Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, housing, and other services that benefit people with disabilities.
* The over $1 trillion cut in revenue is the “pay for” for tax cuts that disproportionately benefit the wealthiest Americans and large corporations.
* Members of Congress who support this bill have already said that they next plan to make cuts to Medicaid, Medicare and other programs on which people with disabilities rely to address the increased deficit caused by this bill.
* The bill has provisions that directly hurt people with disabilities. Because this a conference on both the House and Senate bills, all harmful provisions are could be included in a final bill. The bills have provisions that eliminate tax deductions and credits that help people with disabilities pay for high medical expenses, work, access housing, and get medication.
* It repeals the Affordable Care Act’s requirement that everyone have health insurance. This will cause premiums for people with disabilities and pre-existing conditions to increase, leaving heath insurance unaffordable for millions.
Help us send a loud and clear message that this legislation is unacceptable!
Learn more here:
Call the Capitol switchboard at: 202-224-3121 (voice)
or 202-224-3091 (tty)
Use this sample script and talking points.
You can use this event page to share with friends and family not on Facebook.
How to call:
Call the main Capitol line at: (202) 224-3121 (the TTY line is 202-224-3091).
You will be sent to an automation. It will tell you to press 1 for your senators or 2 for your representative. Select an option.
Then, it will ask you to enter your zipcode. Enter your zipcode using the buttons on your phone. It will read back what you entered, and ask you to press 1 if it is correct and 2 if it is not. If it is not correct, it will ask you to enter your zipcode again.
From there, the call will go directly to your elected official’s office.
Once you have made contact with the office, you can use this script:
Hello, this is [Name]. I’m a resident of [Town, State] and [I/my child/sister/friend/co-worker etc] is a person with a disability who relies on Medicaid for health care and services to live and participate in the community.
Congress is considering tax reform legislation that primarily benefits wealthy individuals and large corporations and would increase the deficit by over $1 trillion. It contains provisions that would hurt people with disabilities, and it would repeal the ACA’s individual mandate, which would cause millions of people to lose insurance or pay significant premium increases. More importantly, I am concerned that cuts to Medicaid will be used to pay for some of these tax cuts or to address the growing deficit. 10 million people with disabilities rely on Medicaid for critical services that help them live and participate in their communities.
I am asking [Representative’s Name] to oppose this tax bill and any bill that would cut or cap Medicaid or use it to pay for tax cuts.
Thank you for taking my call!
[IF LEAVING A VOICEMAIL: please leave your full street address and zip code to ensure your call is tallied]
How to Call Your Elected Officials
https://autisticadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/fact-sheet-how-to-call-your-elected-officials.pdf (plain language)
https://autisticadvocacy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Easy-Read-They-Work-For-Us-4-Making-a-Phone-Call.pdf (Easy Read)